Cyber Safety Webinar – Keep your children safe online
All members of the community were invited to join our free adult only virtual workshop where San Gabriel Police Department School and Community Engagement Team Officers, Stacy Gutierrez and Dane Woolwine, shared resources and insight surrounding cyber safety.
- Learning about internet safety and the risks associated with the internet
- Types of virtual safety issues that kids face, like cyberbullying and potential consequences from sharing personal information
- How kids and parents can be more prepared for internet safety issues and know what to do
Students today live largely within a digital community. It is important to talk with them about online risks, how to avoid them and how to reach out to their parent or other adult when something goes wrong. Understanding what your children do online is vital to protecting them from digital threats.
What you can do to keep your students safe:
- Monitor your child’s online activity and know their passwords.
- Activate privacy features through the browser or internet service provider.
- Set clearly defined rules surrounding online activity. Explaining the reason for each rule and the hazard it protects against can help your child understand potential risks. Rules should protect your child’s privacy, safety and personal information.
- Start the dialogue with your child. An open conversation can help them feel comfortable talking with you even about uncomfortable things they may encounter online.
Did you miss our webinar but want to learn more? Please feel free to reach out to the San Gabriel Police Department Community Engagement Team directly with your questions or concerns surrounding cyber safety!